- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- olive oil
- 1 – 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 – 6oz can tomato paste, (optional)
- Crust (“Another Crust Recipe)
- freshly ground pepper
- shredded jack and sharp cheddar cheese
- sauteed mushrooms chopped green pepper
- sliced black olives
Saute garlic in 2 Tbsp olive oil in large skillet. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, sugar and salt to taste. Cook 30 – 45 minutes. To thicken sauce, add tomato paste.
Cut dough for crust in 1/2. Roll out each 1/2 on lightly floured surface. Place on pans greased with olive oil. Stretch dough lightly to reach edges of pans.
Sprinkle dough with pepper to taste. Add cheese, then spoon and spread sauce carefully over top. Add mushrooms, green peppers, and olives. Bake at 425 degrees, 15 – 20 minutes or until crust is brown on edges.
This pizza was contributed by the wife of Los Angeles Times photographer Al Seib, and is one of the best we’ve ever tasted.