- 3/4 cup shite sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 & 2/3 cups double strength beef broth
- 2 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup spicy mustard
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup liquid smoke
- 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 & 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 8 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 5 serrano chili peppers, minced
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- salt & Cayenne pepper to taste
Place all ingredients except salt and cayenne pepper in a stainless steel sauce pan and heat. Stir to dissolve the ingredients and avoid scorching.
Simmer for 1/2 hour and taste for desired heat and salt. Add salt and cayenne pepper as needed. This sauce is best when made a day or two ahead of time and refrigerated.
Use as basting sauce or barbecue sauce for chicken, beef and pork. Makes about 1 & 1/2 quarts.
This recipe was contributed by Chef Linda Kittler of Kenwood Vineyards (I’m surprised there’s not a little red wine in the recipe – I think it would go very nicely!)