- 16 cups baby spinach, washed, dried and gently packed into 8 cups
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 slices of thick bacon, cooked until crisp and chopped (save the bacon fat)
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts, roasted at 350 degrees for 5 minutes
- 1 firm, fresh pear, halved and thickly sliced
- 4 oz Chevre goat cheese, crumbled
Combine the spinach, onion, bacon, walnuts and pear.
- 1/4 cup bacon fat
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
In a small sauce pan, heat the fat (if you don’t have enough bacon fat add enough salad oil to make 1/4 cup) with the vinegar and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the warm dressing over the salad mixture and top with the crumbled cheese.