Got this one in my email today and even though I haven’t tried it yet, it looked to good not to add here:
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon horseradish cream
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- , to taste
- 1 pound fresh crabmeat
- 1 cup coarsely crumbled cornbread
- Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in middle. Place mayonnaise, mustard, horseradish cream, Old Bay, celery, and onion in a small bowl and mix until well combined. Season with salt and Tabasco sauce, add crab, and mix until well incorporated.
- Place crab mixture in a 3-cup ovenproof dish and top with crumbled cornbread. Bake in the oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately with toasts or celery sticks.
Call it deconstructed crab cakes if you will, but the addition of cornbread makes it much more than that.
What to buy: Creole mustard has a great heat and works well in this recipe. Substituteif you can’t find it. Horseradish cream is sometimes labeled “horseradish cream style” or “prepared horseradish.”
Game plan: The crab mix can be made up to a day ahead of time (just leave out the salt until you are ready to bake it). This recipe was featured in our Thanksgiving Southern-Style
Plus this is a really cool site and even gives beverage pairing with this tasty little appetizer.