- 1 lb dried black-eyed peas
- 4oz salt pork, (rind removed, diced) or thick bacon or hog jowl
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Creole or Cajun seasoning mixture
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- ground hot pepper, optional and to taste
Follow package directions, soak peas over night or cover with water, boil for 2 minutes, then let stand for 1 hour, drain.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute’ diced pork with onion until onion is browned. Combine salt pork and onions with drained peas and remaining ingredients; Add water just to cover. Simmer for about 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours or until tender, checking and adding a little more water if necessary. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Serving suggestions include: hot boiled rice, spinach or collard greens and freshly baked skillet cornbread.
This recipe was found at About.com